My Mom sent me an e-mail about celebrating life lessons as you grow older, and I thought I would post my 30 favorites in honor of turning 30.
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
3. Pay off your credit cards every month.
4. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
5. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
6. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
7. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
8. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
9. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
10. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
11. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
12. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
13. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living.
14. You can get through anything if you focus on today.
15. It's never too late to have a happy childhood, but the second one is up to you and no one else.
16. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
17. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
18. Overprepare, then go with the flow.
19. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
20. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
21. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: "In five years, will this matter?"
22. What other people think of you is none of your business.
23. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
24. Believe in miracles.
25. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
26. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
27. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
28. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
29. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
30. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
(Taken from Regina Brett's 45 Life Lessons)